Skip to content
Main Menu Search Utah Department of
Veterans and Military Affairs
Secondary Navigation »

Cold War/Peace Time Veterans Information Page


The Cold War generally refers to the period of tension between the U.S. and its allies and the Soviet bloc from the end of World War II in 1945 until the collapse of the Soviet Union in the 1990s. A major fear of the Cold War was nuclear war with associated health concerns about exposure to ionizing radiation. Approximately 200,000 US service personnel performed occupation duties in Hiroshima and Nagasaki following the atomic bombing of Japan and a similar number of service members participated in atmospheric nuclear weapons tests from 1945 to 1962.

Utah State Benefits for Current Conflict Veterans

The Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs is committed to easing your transition from the service into the civilian world. Please Click on these links for help in Utah State provided Education and Employment resources. We also have a variety of benefits available, Utah State benefits include: health care, burial, nursing homes, claims assistance.

Federal VA Benefits for Cold War / Peace Time Veterans

Vietnam Veterans may be eligible for a wide-variety of benefits available to all U.S. military Veterans. VA benefits include: disability compensation, pension, education and training, health care, home loans, insurance, vocational rehabilitation and employment, and burial. See our Veterans page for an overview of the benefits available to all Veterans.

Information for Cold War / Peace Time Veterans

The following sections provide information tailored to the experiences of Vietnam War Veterans to help you better understand specific VA benefits for which you may qualify.

Benefits for Cold War / Peace-Time Veterans Exposed to Ionizing Radiation

Cold War / Peace-Time era Veterans may qualify for health care and compensation benefits if you were exposed to ionizing radiation during military service. Health care services include an Ionizing Radiation Registry health exam and clinical treatment at VA’s War Related Illness and Injury Study Centers. You may also be entitled to disability compensation benefits if you have certain cancers as a result of exposure to ionizing radiation during military service.
Learn more about VA benefits for Veterans Exposed to ionizing radiation:

Benefits for Survivors of Veterans

The Veterans Benefits Administration offers a variety of benefits and services to spouses, children, and parents of Servicemembers and Veterans who are deceased or totally and permanently disabled by a service-connected disability.
Learn more on the Dependents & Survivors page.

How to Apply

The specific VA benefit or program web page will provide tailored information about how to apply for a particular benefit or program. Generally, Servicemembers, Veterans, and families can apply for VA benefits using one of the methods below.

For additional assistance please contact:

  • American Legion: 1-801-326-2380
  • Disabled American Veterans(DAV): 1-801-326-2375
  • Military Order of the Purple Heart: 1-801-326-2471
  • State of Utah Veterans & Military Affairs: 1-801-326-2372
  • VFW: 1-801-326-2385



How do I get a copy of my DD214 (Relese from active duty service document)?

If your home of record upon your release from active duty service was within the State of Utah, then the Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs may have a copy in our archive. You can send a request to 550 Foothill Drive, Suite 105 Salt Lake City, Utah 84113; call 800-894-9497 or 801-326-2372; or you can email To search the archive we will need your:

  • Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Last four digits of your Social Security Number

There is no cost for certified copies of your DD214. You will need to be present and present valid photo identification at 550 Foothill Drive, Suite 105, Salt Lake City, Utah 84113 to receive your certified copies.

How do I apply for the Disabled Veterans Property Tax Abatement?

To apply for Utah Disabled Veterans Property Tax Abatement, request a Summary of Benefits Letter from U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Once received, submit the letter with a completed Property Tax Abatement application, on or before 01 SEP, to the applicable county treasurer, tax assessor, or clerk / recorder located in the county courthouse or county government building of the county in which the property is located. All property must be on record as of 01 JAN of the year you wish to file. However, a recent change allows qualified widows and orphans an exemption to that rule. Disabled Veterans only have to file for the abatement one time; after which it will automatically renew each year. However, Veterans will have to re -file if:

  • all or a portion of their abatement is used towards tangible personal property
  • their service connected disability percentage changes
  • the Veteran dies, sells the property, or no longer claims that property as the primary place of residence.

Ref: (Utah Code 59-2-1104 & 1105).

If I don’t live in the Salt Lake area how do I meet with someone to help me file my Veterans Administration claim?

To find a Veteran Service Officer outside of the Salt Lake City Area you can access the Claim Assistance Calendar at or you can call 800-894-9497 or 801-326-2372.

What is the status of my Veterans Administration claim?

There are several ways to check the status for VA disability claims. You can check online using an eBenefits account, or you can go to a VA regional office and have a VA employee assist you. The Salt Lake Regional Office located at 550 Foothill Drive Salt Lake City Utah. You can also call the VA toll free at 1-800-827-1000.

Is the Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs part of the Veterans Administration?

The simple answer is no, Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs is not part of the Veterans Administration we are your Utah State representatives.


“We are the Department in the government of the State of Utah that assists former and present members of the U.S. Armed Forces and their dependents in numerous capacities. This includes the preparing of claims for and securing compensation, hospitalization, education, vocational training, and other benefits or privileges which Veterans and our current armed forces may be qualified for under Federal or State Law, or regulation, by reason of their military service.”


The Department of Veterans Affairs was established as an independent agency under the President by Executive Order 5398 on July 21, 1930, and was elevated to Cabinet level on March 15, 1989 (PL No. 100-527). The Department’s mission is to serve America’s Veterans and their families with dignity and compassion, and to be their principal advocate in ensuring that they receive medical care, benefits, social support, and lasting memorials promoting the health, welfare, and dignity of all Veterans in recognition of their service to this Nation. VA is the second largest Federal department and has over 312,000 employees. Among the many professions represented in the vast VA workforce are physicians, nurses, counselors, statisticians, architects, computer specialists, and attorneys. As advocates for Veterans and their families, the VA community is committed to providing the very best services with an attitude of caring and courtesy. VA comprises a Central Office (VACO), which is located in Washington, DC, and field facilities throughout the Nation administered by its three major line organizations: the Veterans Health Administration (VHA), the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA), and the National Cemetery Administration (NCA). Services and benefits are provided through a nationwide network of 151 medical centers, 820 community-based outpatient clinics, 300 Vet Centers, 56 regional offices, and 131 national and 90 State or tribal cemeteries.

What are my education benefits through the Veterans Administration?

Many benefits are available to advance the education and skills of Veterans and Service Members. Spouses and family members may also be eligible for education and training assistance. Currently, 25% of those benefitting from the VA’s education programs are non-Veterans. Some might find they’re eligible for more than one benefit, or that one program is more suited to certain education and training goals than another.

Learn about these and other education and training programs administered by the VA or start your application now:

To contact the Veterans Educational Benefits toll-free hotline at 888-442-4551 or VA Regional Processing Office U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs 125 South Main Street Muskogee, OK 74401.

How can I receive full military retirement and VA disability compensation?

Concurrent Receipt or Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay(CRDP) is a benefit managed through the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) that allows qualified military retirees to receive full military retirement and VA disability compensation. This law phases out the VA disability offset, thus military retirees with 20 or more years of service and a 50% (or higher) VA rated disability will no longer have their military retirement reduced by the amount of their VA disability compensation. This program is run by the Department of Defense; it is not a VA program. If you are qualified for concurrent receipt, you should have automatically received and increase in your military retirement.

Under these rules, you may be qualified for CRDP if…

  • You are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50% or greater.
  • You are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50% or greater and who has reached the age of retirement. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • You are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50% or greater.
  • You are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50% or greater.
  • For more information please contact the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) at 800-321-1080.

How do I create my eBenefits account?

You can register for an eBenefits account online using the eBenefits DS Logon Account Registration Wizard. You will be walked through a series of questions to assist you in obtaining a Premium eBenefits Account, which gives you the highest level of access to eBenefits features. To get a Premium eBenefits Account, you must verify your identity. Many people will be able to verify their identity online by answering a few security questions. Service members may verify their identity online by using their Common Access Card (CAC). Military retirees may verify their identity online using their Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) Logon. For those unable to verify their identity online, you will instantly receive a Basic Account. However, Veterans in receipt of VA benefits via direct deposit may have their identity verified by calling 1-800-827-1000 and selecting option 7. My HealtheVet users with a DS Logon may use their secure identity to access eBenefits. Others may need to visit a VA Regional Office or TRICARE Service Center to have their identities verified in person.

The Veterans Administrations 800 Number is difficult to get through. How do I contact someone with the Veterans Administration?

The published number for the Veterans Administration is 1-800-827-1000. Contacting this number can be frustrating with long hold times, extensive phone tree options, and worst of all being disconnected after waiting. For Utah, Veterans calling between 05:00 p.m. to 07:00 p.m. increases the opportunity to speak to a live person. Another option is to call after 07:00 p.m. and schedule a telephone appointment with the VA. The times scheduled are based on East Coast time (09:00 a.m. Utah time is 11:00 a.m. East Coast time).

I want to start my own business, how can the Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs help?

The State of Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs, in conjunction with community partners, have put together an informational website explaining some of the benefits available to veterans for starting or maintaining a small business. You can access this information from the website at .

Site SettingsSettings