The residents, healthcare professionals, and staff at our four Utah Veterans Homes have been greatly impacted by social distancing and COVID19. Although necessary to prevent the spread of COVID19, our homes have been closed to visitors since March.
However, while our homes are taking steps to protect our Veterans, it doesn’t mean our residents and staff have to be alone. Happiness for Heroes seeks to connect our Veterans to the community when being together isn’t an option.
We are counting on Utahns to rally their families, friends, and coworkers to send kind messages to these amazing Veterans! Messages will be shared with our residents, Veterans Homes staff and their families to provide words of encouragement, gratitude, and hope during these challenging times.
Utahns are asked to submit videos, letters, artwork, and other messages of support, encouragement, and gratitude. Your messages go a long way to remind our Veterans they aren’t alone and they can make it through this.
How to Participate
Happiness for Heroes invites community members to rally their friends, family, and coworkers to send messages of support, encouragement, and gratitude to the residents and Utah’s four Veterans Homes.
Videos and other electronic well-wishes should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, cards, letters, or other materials may be sent in an unlicked envelope to ATTN: Happiness for Heroes, Utah Department of Veterans & Military Affairs, PO Box 581217, SLC UT 84158. Mail will be cleared by the homes’ infection prevention team before they are passed out to residents.
For videos, please film your video horizontally, so it will display correctly on a TV Refrain from using glitter or confetti, please! Mail should be sent in an unlicked envelope Mail will be cleared by the homes’ infection prevention team before they are passed out to residents. Do not date letters
Submission Tips & Trick
- Videos can be a few seconds (15-30) or a few minutes long
- Suggested topics include: expressing gratitude for their service, sharing hopeful messages, well wishes, and positive thoughts Keep messages positive.
- For videos, get creative! Your children could share your musical talents with our veterans or put on a dance performance
- Prayers are welcome, however, please avoid excessive religious comments.
- Our Veterans home residents include Veterans as well as Veteran spouses, so we encourage you to also thank families who have made sacrifices through a loved ones’ service
- Share about yourself, family, hobbies, work, school, pets, travel, interests, etc.
- Avoid messages of “Get well soon,” prospect of getting “well” is not usually a probable outcome for our residents
- Abstain from writing about violence, killing, illness, injury, death, and dying, etc.
- Avoid all mention of politics.
- Refrain from including contact or distinguishing information for anyone under the age of 18. If you are over 18, you may include your contact information so the letter recipient can reply. Recipients are not required to write back.
- Please add a note to kids’ drawings with their age.
SUBMIT A HAPPINESS FOR HEROES MESSAGEDownload Submission Tips
Please note that files larger than 25MB should be emailed to email@example.com via WeTransfer, DropBox, Google Drive or file sharing tool.